To start with:
He admitted that he hadn't studied for the test.
To continue with:
Video explanation (from minute 3:30, approx.)
To finish with, it occurred to me that there is no better way to assimilate structures than to hear them in context. That's why I have chosen this episode from the remarkable TV series Murder, she wrote. In this episode from Season 11, School for Murder, you have the opportunity to listen to reported speech in context because the adorable Jessica Fletcher is always telling the sheriff what other people said or did. Some examples are:
- Besides, Collin promised that the society would completely protect us, didn’t he?
- Why did Mike and Sarah say they saw it on the floor?
- Mike and Sarah remember that this was on the floor.
- I knew I should not let them talk me into playing.
- And then, after he became headmaster, James Ryerson said he was gonna cut way back on the music department.
I insist on you doing all the exercises.
I suggest that you do all the exercises.
I urge you to do all the exercises.