Skip to main content

READING FOR PLEASURE




ODE TO WORK

I AM TIRED BECAUSE I AM OVERWORKED
The population of Britain is 51 million. 21 million are retired.
That leaves 30 million to do the work.
There are 19 million in school.
That leaves 11 million to do the work.
Of this total, 2 million are unemployed and 4 million are employed by the government.
That leaves 5 million to do the work.
1 million are in the armed forces
which leaves 4 million to do the work!
From that total 3 million are employed by the County and Borough Councils
leaving 1 million to do the work!
There are 620,000 people in hospitals and 379,998 in prison.
That leaves 2 people to do the work!
You and me.
And you are sitting doing nothing reading this ...
NO WONDER I AM TIRED!!!


THE WORK SONG



Well, I swing this hammer from 9 to 5
Been workin' for the man just to stay alive
W-O-R-K is how I spell work

Feel depressed, I miss my family
Maybe if I work long then I'll feel just fine
Haven't smoked in a week
My back is kinda tweaked
Give me work, give me pride, give me loads of overtime

Work, work, work, work, work, work, work

Well, I work all day and drink all night
We fight all morning 'til we get it right
Then, we go to school to be a journeyman

My mother works, my father works
My brother works and now I work
That's all I do is work, work, work, work, work

Lots of pride I get from work
Dad says real men have to work
A union man gets lots of pride from work

In the bailing fields or on the farm
I've only got a tan on half of my arm
I work real quick when you hit me with a whip
Give me work, give me pride, give me loads of overtime

Work, work, work, work, work, work, work

Well, I work all day and drink all night
We fight all morning 'til we get it right
Then, we go to school to be a journeyman

My mother works, my father works
My brother works and now I work
I love to work, work, work, work, work, work

America
A country carried on the back of the working man
A man with fire in his eyes and steel in his belly
A man who could build anything
Like a chair or a table, or he can fix a car, or he can fix a radiator
Without him you wouldn't be able to drive to work
And then you wouldn't be able to work
And no one would go to work 'cause

Work, work, work, work, work, work, work

Well, I work all day and drink all night
We fight all morning 'til we get it right
Then, we go to school to be a journeyman

My mother works, my father works
My brother works and now I work
I love to work, work, work, work, work, work

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SMART GOAL SETTING AND LANGUAGE LEARNING HABITS

Why learning a language is a daily commitment. 7 ways to develop good habits in language learning. How to set SMART goals in language learning . 7 Ways to Develop Good Language Learning Habits from Transparent Language, Inc. Top ten reasons to learn a language. Fawlty Towers  (tv series). Top ten Fawlty Towers moments (watchmojo.com video) Hilarious!!!

LAST-MINUTE RESOURCES AND TIPS FOR C1 ENGLISH TESTS

Are you only days away from taking a B2/C1 English test? These links, tips and resources might help you make the most of your last-minute revision time: Last-minute resources and tips for C1 English tests

HISTORY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

History of the English Language Roman Britain Roman Britain timeline History of English podcast Online etymology dictionary The History of English in 10 minutes (with English subtitles): HORRIBLE HISTORIES videos. Horrible Histories is a series of illustrated history books and a British children's sketch comedy television series that shows you the sides of histoy they don't teach at school. The names for the different historical periods are Ruthless Romans, Smashing Saxons, Stormin' Normans, Terrible Tudors, Vicious Vikings, and so on. You'll find yourself laughing into stitches!!! Horrible Histories: The Anglo-Saxon report Horrible Histories: Anglo-Saxon language Horrible Histories: Historical Masterchef Saxons Horrible Histories: Words we get from the Vikings Horrible Histories: The Viking song Horrible Histories: Normonolopy Horrible Histories: The Roman invasion of Britain report