Skip to main content

CAN YOU ADAM AND EVE IT? TONY BLAIR ISN'T BOVVERED!


Catherine Tate Show characters

In the following video with English subtitles, you can learn more things about Cockney such as when and where it originated (17th century, can you adam and eve it? (believe):



Now, this is the video we saw in class this morning (with English subtitles too). Please, do notice the examples from Old English Lauren uses:
for sooth (indeed)
thou (subject 'you')
thee (object 'you')
thy (possessive 'your')
looketh (look)
wench (girl or young woman)
You'll take the high road and I'll take the low road (from a traditional Scottish song):



Oh, ye'll tak' the high road, and I'll tak' the low road,
And I'll get to Scotland afore ye;
But me and my true love will never meet again
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o' Loch Lomond.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet (from Romeo and Juliet):

Juliet:
O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet.
Romeo:
[Aside] Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?
Juliet:
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.
Romeo:
I take thee at thy word:
Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized;
Henceforth I never will be Romeo.




Are you up for more Lauren Cooper? Lauren and her school mates and preparing to go on a field trip and like all teenage girls, that's no excuse to ignore fashion and style. Lauren's teacher, however, doesn't agree.

God, what is she wearing?
Looking forward to a slice of culture?
Miss?
We are all in for a treat today.
Are you a Christian, miss?
Is the Lord your shepherd?
Have you got Jesus in your heart, miss?
Are we your flock?
Get your things together or I shall suspend you from this trip.
Am I bovvered?


And finally, Lauren's famous sentence is thrown back in her face...



I'm here for work experience.
Ryan had this party last night and he didn't invite me or nothing.
Is he a Prime Minister?
He's on a very important call so you just take this in and come straight back out.
Was that someone famous?
Who is the most famous person you've ever seen?

Comments

  1. hilarious they are innit? that Cath Tate can really turn on your language , thooo' !

    I'm into stitches, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SMART GOAL SETTING AND LANGUAGE LEARNING HABITS

Why learning a language is a daily commitment. 7 ways to develop good habits in language learning. How to set SMART goals in language learning . 7 Ways to Develop Good Language Learning Habits from Transparent Language, Inc. Top ten reasons to learn a language. Fawlty Towers  (tv series). Top ten Fawlty Towers moments (watchmojo.com video) Hilarious!!!

HISTORY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

History of the English Language Roman Britain Roman Britain timeline History of English podcast Online etymology dictionary The History of English in 10 minutes (with English subtitles): HORRIBLE HISTORIES videos. Horrible Histories is a series of illustrated history books and a British children's sketch comedy television series that shows you the sides of histoy they don't teach at school. The names for the different historical periods are Ruthless Romans, Smashing Saxons, Stormin' Normans, Terrible Tudors, Vicious Vikings, and so on. You'll find yourself laughing into stitches!!! Horrible Histories: The Anglo-Saxon report Horrible Histories: Anglo-Saxon language Horrible Histories: Historical Masterchef Saxons Horrible Histories: Words we get from the Vikings Horrible Histories: The Viking song Horrible Histories: Normonolopy Horrible Histories: The Roman invasion of Britain report

LAST-MINUTE RESOURCES AND TIPS FOR C1 ENGLISH TESTS

Are you only days away from taking a B2/C1 English test? These links, tips and resources might help you make the most of your last-minute revision time: Last-minute resources and tips for C1 English tests